Stakeholders of Nigeria Internet Registration Association (NiRA) recognized that with the low level of expertise in the Domain Name System industry in Africa continent generally, there is need to positively impact and deepen the Domain Name System (DNS) Industry locally (Nigeria) and internationally (Africa continent) through skill acquisition and capacity building.
With a Vision to develop the skill gap that exist in the DNS Ecosystem, NiRA Academy and resource center was established by stakeholders of NiRA in November 2014 to operate as one of the Special Purpose Vehicle of NiRA. With the development of capacity building within the DNS Industry in mind, NiRA Academy has organized IPv6 Training in collaboration with AFRNIC and University of Ibadan.
In January 2017, Mr. Sikiru A. Shehu, Dean NiRA Academy on behalf of NiRA signed an MOU with AFRINIC to develop and certify skills in Internet Numbers Resources Management and IPv6 throughout Nigeria. The signing ceremony took place during the ICANN African Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) workshop in Nairobi, Kenya, in the presence of Sunday Folayan, Chair of the AFRINIC Board, and Göran Marby, CEO ICANN. AFRINIC is one of only twelve organisations in the world certified by the IPv6 Forum to directly certify engineers. As a valued partner in AFRINIC’s new certi::6 programme, NiRA Academy will administer certification exams locally in Nigeria enabling engineers to complete their certification within one week
The aim of the Academy is to:
- Develop the Domain Name System (DNS) Industry locally and internationally through skill acquisition and capacity building.
- Breed local DNS Entrepreneurs
- Develop understanding and bridge the gap in the knowledge base of the DNS Industry in Nigeria, and extend same to the rest of Africa
- Provide in-depth training on subjects related to Internet Governance
- Develop capacity in other DNS ancillary/related activities skills such as Website design, Cybersecurity, Networking, Business development and Management, etc.
- Create opportunities for the youth to build and develop their own business and contribute to the growth of the Nigerian and African economy.
- Provide globally recognized certification with third party partnership that includes NITDA, NCC, ICANN, CPN, AFRINIC, AFTLD etc.