Cyber security (Technologies, processes and practices designed to protect the networks of an organization) tries to guarantee the accomplishment and maintenance of security properties of an organization and user’s assets against relevant security risks in the cyber space.
Organization and user’s assets includes connected computing devices, personnel, infrastructure, applications, services, communications systems, and the whole of transmitted and/or stored information in the cyber space.
The three sides of the famous CIA security triangle are: – Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability (CIA). In other words, it is important that the practices and processes are in place to ensure data is not being used or accessed by unauthorized individuals or parties. Safeguarding data requires special training.
Data security ensures that the data is accurate and reliable and is available when those with authorized access need it. A data security plan includes features such as collecting only the required information, keeping it safe, and securely destroying any information that is no longer needed. These steps will help any business meet the legal obligations of possessing sensitive data.
Cyber criminals are after Intellectual Properties, Sensitive client correspondences, Financial Information, Client confidential information etc. We must protect our systems from threats.
FEW TIPS ON HOW TO PROTECT YOUR COMPUTERS, NETWORK OR INFORMATION FROM ATTACKS
- Protect sensitive data, even those on external devices
- Backup data on external devices
- Encrypt data stored on all your devices (even data at rest)
- Conduct IT security awareness training for staff
- Periodically scan the systems, run patches to avoid exploits/vulnerabilities
- Enforce strong encryption techniques on your network
- Create a separate network for guests
- Use secure connections
- Conduct periodic social engineering vulnerability assessments
- Install protective software (anti-virus software, etc)
- Turn on personal firewalls
- Control access to your computers
- Use complex passwords
- Stay informed